Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Forgotton One

Here is a random post on my feelings on the forgotton holiday of Thanksgiving!

I have noticed in the past few years that Thanksgiving is getting edged out more and more. This upsets me because it is a great holiday that I believe is a great time to reflect on all that you have in your life, namely family. We go from Halloween decorations and candy right to Christmas. Granted Thanksgiving is not a gift or candy giving holiday that all the retailers can sell on, but it frustrates me to no end that right after the Halloween candy and decorations are consolidated and clearanced, up goes all the Christmas paraphenelia. I do understand that the retailers have to put the merchandise out early because many people are not procrastinators like I am and start there shopping early, but I find it hard to swallow that they have already pulled out the Christmas music and have it blaring from the overhead speakers. I was also appalled to have read on facebook that a few of my friends have put their Christmas trees up this weekend! REALLY???! I could see it if someone was being deployed overseas or if family was going to be in town, but to put it up just because really goes right through me.

I love Thanksgiving because it is spent with family around a table eating great food and talking and spending time together. There is no rush with it and you can sit back, relax and enjoy time with everyone.

Now don't think that I am anti-Christmas, because I do love Christmas also, but to me that season starts December1st, but to me it is the 2nd due to Kyle's birthday on the 1st. It may get delayed even further next year due to the new baby's birthday sometime in December. You will not find my tree up until probably a week or so before Christmas and it does not come down until after January 1st.

Well that is enough of my ranting. I would love to hear your thoughts on the forgotten one.

4 comments:

  1. Yes. You are absolutely right! Every year, the Christmas season begins earlier and earlier, and it feels like Thanksgiving starts becoming more of an afterthought. It's disappointing that it is losing popularity only for the fact that it isn't a commercialized holiday. (You know I still love Christmas, too...just after Thanksgiving, is all.) Very good post, big sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. This is my first blog on an actual topic instead of a boring update on the fam. It is nice to have a place to put your thoughts and ideas, no matter how random or trivial.

    I also cannot wait for your cheesecake lineup!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree. I leave up my halloween/fall decorations until after Thanksgiving. I know the halloween ones should really come down, but due to laziness and my desire for it to be fall as long as possible before winter sets in, I leave them out until December. Happy Thanksgiving. Wish I could have been at the Bison dinner today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Em, it was good to see you and everyone at the dinner yesterday. I also agree about waiting until December for Christmas. Do you remember when Fr. Mickus was here and we had to wait until the twenty fourth to put up our trees and decorate? We only did that a couple of years because that was too long and, since the rest of the world (school and town) was Christmas everywhere for the whole month, it made our house feel sad and depressing, both for the kids and for me. Then, while we were doing Christmas, after the twenty fifth until January 12th, everyone else was through with it and we were all alone. Nope. I like to begin decorating in early December and do a little bit along so the house blooms throughout the month. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete